Sunday 21 July 2013

As Geese Are Want to Do

This blog post is dedicated to Finn. Happy birthday Finn.

The Lake District, England

Just back inside the border of England from Wales, we paid for a campsite and only then did they tell us they were having a karaoke night. They sang badly until midnight. The shower in the morning was rubbish and cost £1. We left promptly.

We set a course for Windermere, which was apparently a good starting point for exploring the Lake District. (Researching the potential of going Liverpool or Manchester, we didn't see much appeal apart from football.) We had a nice lunch there with a Pimm's Deuce, which is Pimm's, orange and cranberry juice, and a strawberry. Yum! 


In supermarkets at the time, they were selling this limited edition Pimm's: elderflower and blackberry. (I briefly thought of bringing some back with me in my suitcase, but thought it too much of a hassle. But when I opened my Christmas present from my friend Finn, there it was! It was fun to try, and quite nice, but I do prefer original Pimm's.)

After Windermere, we drove to another town which was on a lake and sat in the sun by it for a bit and read. There were lots of crows there as well as the more usual lake-going birds: ducks. I wanted to read in the sun, but was afraid of being burned if I spent too long in it, so I would move to the shade after a time, but then grow too cold and move back. I must have changed seats half a dozen times.

We then tried to find something called Tarn Hows. After some GPSing, we tracked it down, and it was another nice little lake.
This one had an abundance of dragonflies and geese. We wanted to sit on the grass but everywhere was covered in geese poo, so we perched on a rock and watched as the geese slowly made their way towards us as they were scouring the grass for food. One came up close and stared at us, we stared back. It did not become hostile (as geese are want to do).

This was how it stared at us. Quite intimidating, I know. 

We drove north and all the camp sites we saw were full. We found one whose owner said "if you can find a spot for your tent, you can stay." We found a spot; our tent is very small. Going over a fence nearby, we found some lovely scenery. (And you would think they would use this area for more tent spaces! I suppose livestock are more important than tourists.)

No comments:

Post a Comment