Monday 14 September 2015

My Top Ten Beach Day Songs

When it's summertime and there's coastline nearby, what better way to spend some free time than at the beach? I love to laze around reading and sleeping and listening to good music, but you can also get in some swimming, running or yoga if you're so inclined. Pack some snacks and plenty of water, and let's hit the beach! (Don't forget to practice safe sun exposure - apply sunscreen regularly and follow the Slip Slop Slap Wrap guidelines.)

Jogging Gorgeous Summer - Islands
(Source: wikipedia.org)
A nice upbeat Islands song kicks off my top ten. Tongue clacking adds an interesting backing noise, along with the poignant lyric "The sky's blue, so what should we do?" Visit the beach of course! Silly question. 
Listen here (YouTube link). 

Sound and Vision - David Bowie
Cheerful Bowie songs are one of the best additions to summery playlists. He serenades with warbled lyrics, do-do-dos and musical sighing. 
Listen here (YouTube link). 

Surfin' Safari - the Beach Boys
(Source: Amazon.com)
Though I'm not a surfer girl, this song screams good beach times. I had a difficult time picking just one Beach Boys song for this list, as I could easily create a beach day playlist comprised exclusively of their songs. Two songs that just missed out were 'Surfin USA' and 'Surfer Girl'. Kawabunga! 
Listen here (YouTube link).

La Rumba no Canto Mas - Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra from the Tropico 4 soundtrack
Spicing it up with a Latin song straight from the Tropico 4 game soundtrack, La Rumba no Canto Mas always conjures up visions of fisherman's sheds by the sea and finding suitable land to plant bannana farms. 
Listen here (YouTube link). 

Summertime - Sex Bob-Omb from Scott Pilgrim vs the World soundtrack
(Source: wikia.com)
Another soundtrack song, but this time from the popular comic-turned-movie Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Quirky lyrics ("I'm gonna strut and strum") accompany an upbeat tune. I'm not sure why he has tangerine skulls, but maybe it's more of a 'why not?' situation. 
Listen here (YouTube link). 

Banzai Washout - Dick Dale
I'd feel like I was leaving out something very important if I excluded Dick Dale's instrumental Banzai Washout. I can feel the frothy surf swirl around my toes just listening to it. 
Listen here (YouTube link). 

Peaches - Presidents of the United States of America
Though not typically a beach song, 'Peaches' instantly summons feelings of summer for me. Picture biting into a ripe sun-soaked peach in the shade of a tree as you look out across the sea. Damn right. 
Listen here (YouTube link). 

Sun is Shining - Bob Marley
When "the weather is sweet", you've got to listen to this chill Marley song. I particularly like the lovely lyric "when the morning gathers the rainbow, want you to know I'm a rainbow too". 
Listen here (YouTube link). 

Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks
(Source: eil.com)
To me, "lazing on a sunny afternoon" is one of the greatest joys in life. Luckily the taxman hasn't taken all my dough, but if he had I could still enjoy a nice day at the beach. But not in Croatia, where the beaches are amaaaazing. 
Listen here (YouTube link). 

Summertime - the Zombies
Covered from an Ella Fitzgerald song, this slow paced number is a great way to end the playlist so that you can be lulled into a lovely beach nap. These are my favourite kind of nap, and I endeavour to embark on one during every trip to the beach. (If you want an even slower paced song, opt for the original, but I find it a bit too slow for my tastes.)
Listen here (YouTube link).

And let's throw in a number eleven:
Every Day Should be a Holiday - Dandy Warhols
Even if you only have the weekend, this song can have you believing for just a few minutes that you're on vacation. There's no YouTube link to share as they're cracking down, but you can listen to a snippet on iTunes. You'll just have to google it. 

Now go forth and beach thyself upon the sand or rocks or grass or whatever your particular beach is made of, go forth!

No comments:

Post a Comment